Power star caught off-guard by shock axing
Port Adelaide small forward Boyd Woodcock has admitted he was “pretty confident” the club would offered him another contract.
Delisted Port Adelaide small forward Boyd Woodcock admits he was surprised to not be offered a contract with the club, despite not featuring in the Power’s 2021 finals campaign.
On Friday, Port Adelaide announced that Woodcock and Jarrod Lienert had been delisted, along with Trent Burgoyne.
Sam Mayes was also delisted, but the club committed to redrafting the 27-year-old at next month’s AFL Rookie Draft.
Catch all the ICC T20 World Cup action live & exclusive to Fox Cricket, available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today.
“Jarrod and Boyd have each shown resilience and a commitment to working hard to get the best out of themselves,” Port Adelaide list manager Jason Cripps said in a statement.
“In some ways they are each unlucky but as happens at this time of the year, the club has to make difficult decisions regarding its list needs for 2022 and beyond.
“We thank each of the boys for the sacrifices they have made and dedication they have shown to our club and wish them well going forward.”
Woodcock played seven games for Port Adelaide in 2021, contributing 73 disposals and four goals.
The 21-year-old has kicked 31 goals in the SANFL since he was snapped up as pick 76 of the 2018 AFL Draft.
Speaking to SEN SA Breakfast, Woodcock confessed that he believed he had shown enough potential in “the hardest role in the game” to warrant another contract with the Power.
“My manager gave me a call a few days ago and said, ‘You’re going to get a call from (Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley) and it’s not going to go your way,’” Woodcock said on Monday.
“Kenny obviously gave me the ring and let me know and said, unfortunately, the club’s going a different way and it’ll be good for me to get opportunities elsewhere, whether that be at another AFL club, which is what I’m hoping for, if not then at the state level and that way at least I’ll be able to get some more games in.
“Last year was a bit frustrating, I only played six or seven full SANFL games and five full games of AFL, and then two as a sub as well.
“I think for most of the year I was pretty confident (of getting a new deal), I’m only 21, I’ve come in and played 12 games in the last two years and still developing but obviously the club’s gone a different way, which I completely respect.
“(They said) you’ve done everything you could from where you were when I first got to the club to where I am now and I should be proud of that, which I am.
“Hopefully I can keep working on my game and get opportunities elsewhere.
“I could be a bit biased, but I reckon playing the half-forward role is probably the hardest role in the game to play, there’s so much unrewarded work that goes on that no one even notices.
“My manager’s been in touch with a few clubs, he said he’s going to give me some time to relax and have a think about teams and he’ll call me at some stage this week and get in touch as to what it’s looking like.”
For all the latest Sports News Click Here