Tottenham reveal duo who tested positive for COVID-19 were both FALSE positives
Tottenham reveal the two unknown players who tested positive for coronavirus after the international break were both FALSE positives, leaving them available for the trip to Newcastle
- Spurs reported two players had tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday
- Duo would have had to self-isolate for 10 days to follow Premier League rules
- Tottenham said duo had returned false positives and will be available on Sunday
- News will please Spurs boss Nuno Espirito Santo ahead of trip to Newcastle
The two Tottenham players who tested positive for COVID-19 after the international break were both false positives and will be available for the game against Newcastle, the club reported on Sunday.
Spurs revealed on Friday that the unnamed duo had returned positive tests after returning from international duty and training with their teammates on Thursday.
However, concerns over the two players were swiftly quelled after it emerged both players had returned a false negative test.
Both players were shown to have contracted Covid-19 after tests on Thursday
Spurs didn’t name the two players involved but said both will be available against Newcastle
‘Following a number of reports regarding the health of our players, the Club would like provide clarity to events of the past 48 hours,’ Spurs said in a statement on Sunday afternoon.
‘After further analysis following Premier League protocol, two players – whose names will not be disclosed due to medical confidentiality – returned false positive tests for COVID-19 on Friday after returning from international duty.’
While the duo would have had to self-isolate for 10 days as per the Premier League COVID protocols, Spurs said on Friday no other players would have to quarantine having come into close contact.
The news will please Nuno Espirito Santo who faced selection headaches ahead of Sunday
Spurs went into the international break on a high after beating Aston Villa 2-1 at home
The news will be very welcome by Spurs boss Nuno Espirito Santo, who admitted on Friday he had been left with ‘huge issues’ following the latest international break.
The Portuguese was dealt a major blow following September’s international break, when some of his players picked up injuries and three South American players – Giovani Lo Celso, Cristian Romero and Davinson Sanchez – were forced to head to Croatia for 10 days to avoid hard quarantine in England.
Spurs travel to Newcastle on Sunday afternoon, before travelling to Holland to face Vitesse Arnhem in the Europa Conference League on Thursday and then take on West Ham at the London Stadium next Sunday.
Tottenham head to St. James’ Park 10th in the table, three points adrift of fourth-placed Brighton after beating Aston Villa 2-1 in the last game before the international break.
For all the latest Sports News Click Here