Explained: What is Netflix paid sharing, how it tracks who’s using the account, and all other questions answered – Times of India
What is a
A Netflix Household is a collection of your Netflix devices connected to the internet at the main place you watch Netflix. A Netflix Household can be set up using a TV device. Devices that use your Netflix account on the same internet connection as this TV will automatically be part of your Netflix Household.
How to set up or update your Netflix Household?
You can set or update your Netflix Household when signed into Netflix from a TV that is connected to your internet.
- From the Netflix home screen on your TV, press left on your remote to open the menu.
- Select Get Help > Manage Netflix Household.
- Select Confirm Netflix Household or Update My Netflix Household.
- Select Send Email or Send Text. A verification link will be sent to the account email address or phone number. Verification links expire after 15 minutes.
- If you do not receive the verification link by email or text, click Resend Email or Resend Text. Or you can choose another option or select Remind Me Later.
- Select Yes, This Was Me in the email, or tap the link in the text message, then Confirm Netflix Household or Update Netflix Household to continue.
- You will see a confirmation on your TV screen and receive a confirmation email. Select Continue to Netflix to start watching.
How does Netflix detect devices within a Netflix Household?
Netflix uses information such as IP addresses, device IDs, and account activity to determine whether a device signed into your account is part of your Netflix Household.
What happens if Netflix finds out you’re streaming outside the ‘household’?
- In case, you — or someone else from your account — streams outside the primary Netflix Household, there’s a verification process, which as follows
- You will get a link on your email ID or phone number associated with your account
- Open the link and you will get a four-digit verification code
- There is a 15-minute time limit to enter the code on the device it has been restricted
- The correct code gives you access to your Netflix account
Does Netflix collect location/GPS data to do so?
No, Netflix has categorically stated that it does not collect GPS data to try to determine the precise physical location of your devices.
What happens if a Netflix Household is not set
In case, a user hasn’t set a Netflix Household, it will automatically set one for you based on IP address, device IDs, and account activity. Users have the option to later update their Netflix Household from a TV by connecting to the internet.
What are the plans Netflix has in India?
Netflix has four plans in India — Mobile (Rs 149 per month), Basic (Rs 199 per month), Standard (Rs 499 per month), and Premium (Rs 649 per month). Here is what users get with these plans:
|Mobile||Unlimited ad-free movies, TV shows, and mobile games
Watch on 1 phone or tablet at a time
Download on 1 phone or tablet at a time
|Basic||Unlimited ad-free movies, TV shows, and mobile games
Watch on 1 supported device at a time
Watch in HD
Download on 1 supported device at a time
|Standard||Unlimited ad-free movies, TV shows, and mobile games
Watch on 2 supported devicesat a time
Watch in Full HD
|Premium||Unlimited ad-free movies, TV shows, and mobile games
Watch on 4 supported devices at a time
Watch in Ultra HD
Download on 6 supported devices at a time
Netflix Spatial Audio
For all the latest Technology News Click Here