Canadian men’s water polo team withdraws from worlds due to COVID-19 | CBC Sports

Canada’s men’s water polo team withdrew from the world aquatics championships in Hungary following an additional positive COVID-19 test on Friday.

The team’s Thursday match against Italy was previously rescheduled to Friday, then forfeited entirely, due to prior cases of the virus. A scheduled match against South Africa on Saturday was also called off.

“This decision was made in order to ensure and preserve the short and long-term overall health, safety and well being of participants, which always remains Water Polo Canada’s first and foremost priority,” Water Polo Canada wrote in a statement provided to CBC Sports. 

“The men’s national team program will now focus on adequate recovery before turning its attention towards preparing for success at future international events. “

Canada lost its opener 19-2 against Spain, but FINA — aquatics’ governing body — said it would not be taken under consideration.

It is not known which team members tested positive.

Earlier Friday, FINA said the team could return to play in the seeding brackets on Monday, barring further positive tests and provided the isolation period of affected athletes is completed.

However, without any medals at stake, Water Polo Canada decided to exit the tournament entirely.

For all the latest Sports News Click Here 

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! TechAI is an automatic aggregator around the global media. All the content are available free on Internet. We have just arranged it in one platform for educational purpose only. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials on our website, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.