Bypoll 2021 LIVE Updates: BJP, Congress look for gains as counting begins in 3 LS & 29 assembly seats – The Economic Times
Votes are being counted in three Lok Sabha and 29 assembly constituencies spread across 13 states. Voting in these constituencies were held on October 30.Five seats in Assam, four in West Bengal, three each in Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Meghalaya, two each in Bihar, Karnataka and Rajasthan.One seat each is in Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Maharashtra, Mizoram and Telangana.
!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Keen contest in Haryana’s Ellenabad seat
- By-elections to Ellenabad Assembly constituency was necessitated by the resignation of INLD leader Abhay Chautala as MLA in protest against the Centre’s new farm laws.
- Chautala, son of INLD chief Om Prakash Chautala, is contesting against Congress nominee Pawan Beniwal and BJP-JP candidate Gobind Kanda
- Abhay Chautala had won the 2010 bypolls from Ellenabad when Om Prakash Chautala vacated the seat, and then retained it in 2014 and also in 2019 Assembly polls.
BJP-TMC tussle in four assembly seats in West Bengal
- Constituencies in West Bengal where votes are counted today: Dihata in Cooch Behar, Santipur in Nadia, Khardha in North 24 Parganas and Gosaba in South 24 Parganas.
- Two of these seats are held by the Trinamool Congress , two by the BJP.
- Dinhata and Santipur are seen as a prestige battle for the BJP, which is currently grappling with an exodus of MLAs and senior leaders.
- TMC heavyweight Udayan Guha is looking to reclaim Dinhata seat, which the BJP had snatched from him in the April elections.
- In Santipur, BJP MP Jagannath Sarkar had resigned from the assembly.
The BJP and TMC held two seats each of the four in West Bengal that went to polls. The results there will be watched keenly.
Of the constituencies where votes are counted today. the BJP was holding around half a dozen seats, the Congress had nine, while the rest were with the regional parties.
INLD leader Abhay Chautala, who quit the Haryana assembly in protest against the agriculture laws, and Congress’ Pratibha Singh, wife of late chief minister Virbhadra Sing are among the prominent candidates in the fray.
Counting today: Three assembly seats in Himachal Pradesh, five assembly seats in Assam, four in West Bengal, three each in Madhya Pradesh and Meghalaya, two each in Bihar, Karnataka and Rajasthan and one seat each in Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Maharashtra, Mizoram and Telangana.
Counting of votes in bypolls to three Lok Sabha and 29 assembly constituencies spread across 13 states will take place today.
For all the latest world News Click Here